Blisworth limestone has long been sourced and supplied to the construction industry in it’s rightful geological birthplace place of Northamptonshire county and surrounding areas. Until recently it was thought to be unavailable. Stamford Stone has now brought it back to the commercial market supplying clients from self-builders to national developers throughout the county. Blisworth limestone was famed for it’s density and durability still present in the stone we are quarrying today. The stone has been widely used as a planners favourite in the Brackley area on the Radstone Fields development for the last two years. It can also be said that is has taken over the reclaimed/salvaged stone market similar in colour and variation, coming in coursed bags is also a big bonus both economically and in terms of labour making it a much more commercially viable option for developers.
A brief history of Blisworth – Before 1800, Blisworth had a couple of limestone quarries towards the east of the parish, quite near to the Courteenhall Road. They are marked as Lime Kilns in Bryant’s map of 1825. The quarries could have been opened in medieval times for providing stone for building and repair of cottages in the village. By the time of the fields enclosure in 1808 they were officially assigned to provide stone for road maintenance and, apparently, the Duke of Grafton instructed his agent to find a new quarry in order to sell stone. His agent (Mr. Roper) was actually already selling stone at the time and so he knew a likely place to establish a new quarry, that being just adjacent to one of the “road” quarries and in 1821 he opened it for business, opening onto the Stoke Road.