Sustainability & Environmental Policy
Stamford Stone Company Ltd recognises that businesses can have a negative impact on the environment. We are committed, and enjoy, finding ways in which we can reduce the impact of our work.
It is our policy to:
- Reduce the amount of waste material hauled by scanting blocks 2 sides before they leave the quarry (Clipsham Medwells)
- Recycle all waste material possible, into by products such as rockery stone, lime dust.
- Keep energy usage low, investigate further energy saving opportunities and with funding from the carbon trust.
- Source 95% of our block stone within 20 miles of our works site.
- 85% of our haulage to be in house, using our modern motor fleet with Euro5 diesel engines which are efficient and low polluting.
- Organize transport of part loads in multi drops to reduce unnecessary journeys.
- We use packaging only to the extent appropriate to ensure safe handling, storage and transport, minimizing the risk of damage to the product.
- We collect pallets on return loads, repair where necessary and reuse.
- Rainwater harvesting systems in place at quarry and works site.
- Water filtration plant on works site recycles 100% of our water used in production.
- Limit the use of paper wherever possible. For example, sending quote documents as PDF files
- Avoid the use of postal services, saving on transportation and on paper (envelopes). For example, emailing invoices and statements of account
- Avoid unnecessary travel by making use of telephone and email
We aim to regularly review our Environmental Policy and seek to reduce our impact each and every year